The president of the University of California system shares governance with the faculty and the 26-member Board of Regents. Each of the system’s ten campuses is led by a chancellor who shares governance with the campus faculty senate.
The Process (in brief)
- The five faculty members on the search committee, working with the president, will submit to the full committee for evaluation not fewer than five promising candidates.
- The committee evaluates the nominations and can add more names.
- The committee may interview the candidates.
- The committee will solicit the opinions of other interested groups in whatever manner it considers appropriate.
- Both the committee and the president should be mindful of the university’s commitment to hiring women and underrepresented minorities.
- After the committee completes its evaluations and advises the UC president, she will make her recommendation to the UC Board of Regents for consideration and approval.
Public input is encouraged throughout the search process. Comments may be submitted via email to MercedChancellor@imsearch.com